We admire that you want to tackle a water-related issue in your community, and we’re excited to learn more about your project idea! The first step to a successful application is to familiarize yourself with the Fellowship Program’s rules, eligibility requirements, and objectives.
Rules & Eligibility
- The 2022 Future Blue Youth Council Fellowship Program application deadline is August 1, 2021 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET). The online application platform will close automatically at the deadline. Please plan accordingly!
Who May Enter
- This program is open to students worldwide ages 13-19; however, applications must be in English.
- Proof of age, identity, or eligibility may be required.
- Applications may be submitted by an individual or by a group of unlimited size. Groups must select one group leader to serve as the primary contact.
- Only one application per student is permitted. However, students may submit to other Bow Seat programs such as the Ocean Awareness Contest.
Selection and Disclaimers
- The selection process begins immediately after the Fellowship application closes. Decisions of the selection committee members are final.
- Applications will be evaluated based on how well the project:
- Aligns with the Fellowship Program’s goals;
- Demonstrates water issue knowledge;
- Uses educational and engaging creative media;
- Is thoughtful in its approach;
- Is realistic in its goals (which includes the demonstration of an appropriate budget); and
- Is likely to result in measurable impacts.
- Selected grantees and their adult supporters will be notified via email before they are publicly announced on Bow Seat’s website in November 2021.
- Grantees will be required to verify their eligibility by completing, signing, and returning an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and, where lawful, a Publicity Release within five (5) business days of attempted notification.
- Grantees under 18 years of age must have their parent/legal guardian sign and complete the Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release and, where lawful, the Publicity Release on their behalf.
- At the conclusion of the grant period (December 2022), grantees will be required to submit a grant report that details their successes and learnings, and to attend a virtual meeting with the Council and other grantees.
- Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs and the Future Blue Youth Council reserve the right to use students’ work for marketing and promotional purposes in any and all media.
- The Future Blue Youth Council promises to administer the Fellowship Program fairly, ethically, and with integrity.
You can preview the application form here. Make sure you think through these main points as you prepare to apply:
- Key contact information, including details of an adult who supports your application
- Information about the issue you’re addressing as well as project activities, goals, timeline, and expenses