Rules & Eligibility
- All submissions must be received by June 13, 2023, at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) to be considered in the 2023 Ocean Awareness Contest. The online platform will close automatically at the Contest deadline. Please plan accordingly!
Who May Enter
- This is an international Contest and is open to students ages 11-18 who are enrolled in middle school or high school (or the homeschool equivalent) worldwide. Proof of age, identity, or eligibility may be required.
- Students who have started college or university are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
- Students ages 11-14 may enter the Junior Division. Students ages 15-18 may enter the Senior Division. Please enter the age division based on your age at the time of entry.
- Participants under the age of 13 must have a parent or legal guardian complete a Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) Parent/Guardian Consent Form with their submission. Learn more >
- Entries may be submitted by an individual or group of unlimited size. If you submit as a group, there must be one group leader who will serve as the contact person for the group.
- All of the names of the group members must be listed in the submission.
- All group members must meet age eligibility requirements (11-18 years old.)
- Award money will be split evenly among the group members.
- Submit in the age division of the group leader.
- A student may submit (i.e., have their name included in) only one entry per category. Therefore, a student may have a maximum of six different submissions, one in each category.
How to Enter
- There is no fee to enter the Contest.
- Students must create an account and submit their work through our online system by the Contest deadline: June 13, 2023, at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET). Bow Seat cannot accept submissions via email or physical mail.
- Students must provide the contact information for an Adult Sponsor: a teacher, parent, guardian, mentor, or other supporting adult.
- Entries submitted previously to the Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Contest will not be considered in the 2023 Contest.
- Submissions must be created during the 2022-23 academic year (or between September 2022 and June 2023).
- All entries must be the students’ original work. While we recognize that existing sources will be used for inspiration and research, Bow Seat reserves the right to disqualify an entry at any time if we suspect or determine plagiarism.
- The use of AI-generators, like ChatGPT or DALL-E, is considered plagiarism. Any participant who submits AI-generated work will be disqualified and their sponsor will be notified.
- Entries must be submitted in English or have an English translation in order to be considered for judging.
- Bow Seat promises to run this Contest fairly, ethically, and with integrity.
- All judging decisions are final.
- All winners and their sponsors will be notified by email before they are publicly announced.
- Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs reserves the right to use students’ work for marketing and promotional purposes in any and all media.
- Winners will be required to verify their eligibility by completing an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and, where lawful, a Publicity Release during the award claim process.